The McAlester Regional Literacy Council seeks to enhance the lives of the citizens of this region by providing free one to one literacy instruction to non-English speaking and adult learners.
- The McAlester Regional Literacy Council (MRLC) was established in 1984 to provide basic literacy and ESL (ELL) instruction to adult learners over the age of 18.
- The office is located on the mezzanine level of the McAlester Public Library.
- MRLC has a resource library of supplemental materials including a variety of educational tools and computer programs to serve our clientele.
- There is a Coordinator who is available in the office Monday through Thursday from 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM. to evaluate incoming students and to recruit and train volunteers.
- MRLC has many dedicated tutors. We also have a council of 10 community members. All tutors and council members serve as volunteers.
- MRLC provides information to local community organizations explaining the importance of adult literacy.
- We are a non-profit organization provided with grant monies from the Oklahoma Department of Libraries and other local entities.
McAlester Regional Literacy Council in the news:
Literacy Grant Awarded
- Margaret Beall, President
- Vanesa Cummins, Vice President
- Gloria Shields, Secretary
- Ellah Bethune, Treasurer
- David Beall, Parliamentarian
- Heather Rausche, Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/McAlesterLit
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mcalester-Regional-Literacy-Council-413685482058302
Oklahoma Literacy Coalition: http://okliteracycoalition.okpls.org/